Programs for Men's Groups
That Man is You
That Man Is You! is one of the premier men’s leadership and formation programs in the Church today—running in 475 parishes across the country as of fall 2014 with about 20,000 men attending each week. The program honestly addresses the pressures and temptations that men face in our modern culture, especially those relating to their roles as husbands and fathers. The program harmonizes current social and medical science with the teachings of the Church and the wisdom of the saints to develop the vision of a man fully alive. It is particularly indebted to the teachings of the Second Vatican Council and St. John Paul II. Men attending That Man Is You! typically consider the content to be the program’s greatest strength, rating it 9.4 on a 10-point scale.
The three base years of the program cover the three main relationships man has:
- Year 1, “Becoming a Man After God’s Own Heart,” focuses on man’s relationship with God;
- Year 2, “A Light to the Nations,” focuses on man’s relationship with his spouse;
- and Year 3, “Revelation of the Father,” focuses on man’s relationship with his children.
That Man Is You! is designed as a 26-week interactive multimedia men’s program capable of appealing to men in a media-dominated culture. It meets once per week, for 13 weeks in the fall and 13 weeks in the spring. The vast majority of the programs run from 6:00am to 7:30am on a weekday morning. Each session has three essential elements: social gathering over a meal, DVD presentation, and small group (where the men discuss the content of the presentations in the context of their own lives, sharing their challenges, struggles, failures, realizations, and new commitments going forward—supporting one another and helping to hold each other accountable).
That Man Is You! has been the catalyst to help thousands of men to date transform their lives—growing in their faith, deepening their spirituality, and in the process becoming better men, better husbands, better fathers—as they come to understand and accept their responsibility to be spiritual leaders in the home and in greater society.
The King's Men
The King's Men is a national laymen’s apostolate focused of forming and building up men as leaders, protectors and providers through regular local meetings and activities that include prayer, and education, healing and action (the four pillars).
Additionally, to enhance the mission of building up and uniting men, The King's Men has developed a challenging and invigorating weekend for men – Into the Wild. Building on the principle that “Grace builds upon nature”, Into the Wild is primarily an outdoor, skill-oriented weekend focused on providing men with experiences linked to a man’s natural vocation of Leader, Protector, and Provider.
The King's Men pillar of ‘healing’ resulted in the need to develop an outreach whereby men can heal from their past hurts and existing trials and struggles. Through the Samson program, men are united in a brotherhood with other men who are seeking freedom and meaning from their past pain. The journey towards freedom, healing, forgiveness and peace begins, continues and ends for some at our spiritually intensive Samson retreat weekends.
And finally, the pillar of action is primarily exemplified in the No More Porn Tour, in which local The King's Men members pray outside of a sexually oriented business holding signs and engaging patrons, employees and passerby’s in the truth about the disorder of sexual sin.
Word On Fire
Word on Fire Catholic Ministries is a nonprofit global media apostolate that supports the work of Bishop Robert Barron and reaches millions of people to draw them into— or back to— the Catholic faith.
Word on Fire is evangelical; it proclaims Jesus Christ as the source of conversion and new life. Word on Fire is Catholic; it utilizes the tremendous resources of the Roman Catholic tradition—art, architecture, poetry, philosophy, theology, and the lives of the saints— in order to explain and interpret the event of Jesus Christ. Word on Fire Catholic Ministries exists to draw people into the body of Christ, which is the Church, and thereby give them access to all the gifts that Jesus wants his people to enjoy. To be most effective in this mission, Word on Fire places an emphasis and urgency on the use of contemporary forms of media and innovative communication technologies.
Word on Fire includes many programs including the very popular Catholicism series as well as the Pivotal Player’s spotlight programs. It also includes topical program based on Bishop Barron’s speaking engagements. A digital platform (Word on Fire Digital) offers access to all of these programs for a monthly fee.
Recently a new initiative, Word on Fire Institute, was launched. This institute is there as a training resource for training people in evangelization.
Programs available for your group:
- Catholicism – Using a professional production crew this program explores the beauty goodness and truth of the Catholic faith. Bishop Barron travels the world to explore Catholic culture, beautiful churches and biblical locations.
- Catholicism Pivotal Players – In depth biographies of some major figures in the history of the Catholic Church. This includes such figures as St Thomas Aquinas, St Francis, Michelangelo, St Augustine and more.
- The Mass – The source and summit of our Catholic faith. This program explores the mass in a light that helps Catholics fulfill the call to full and active participation at the mass, the intimate union of Heaven and Earth.
- Priest, Prophet, King – Explores Jesus’ role as each Priest, Prophet and King and shows us how we are all called to fulfill these roles as well.
- Numerous other topical programs including David the King, The Mystery of God and many more.
Saint Paul Center for Biblical Theology
Our Mission: Reading the Bible from the Heart of the Church
Founded by Dr. Scott Hahn, the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology is a non-profit research and educational institute that promotes life-transforming Scripture study in the Catholic tradition. The Center serves clergy and laity, students and scholars, with research and study tools — from books and publications to multimedia and on-line programming.
Our goal is to be a teacher of teachers. We want to raise up a new generation of priests who are fluent in the Bible and lay people who are biblically literate. For us, this means more than helping people to know their way around the Bible. It means equipping them to enter into the heart of the living Word of God and to be transformed and renewed by this encounter.
We read the Bible from the heart of the Church, in light of the Church’s Liturgy and living Tradition. In this way, we hope to help people experience the heart-to-heart encounter that Jesus’ disciples experienced on that first Easter night, when they knew Him in the breaking of the bread: "Did not our hearts burn within us while He talked to us…while He opened to us the Scriptures?" (see Luke 24:13-37)
Programs available for your group:
- The Bible and the Virgin Mary – Unpacks the mystery of Our Blessed Mother through scripture. It explores how Mary is foretold in the Old Testament, what is revealed about her in the New Testament and highlights Marian Apparitions and devotions. Based on Dr. Scott Hahn’s book Hail Holy Queen.
- The Bible and the Sacraments – This program reviews the basic teachings of the Church on the sacraments and really unpacks the mystery as revealed in Sacred Scripture.
- Many more audio and video resource to provoke conversations in your parish men’s group.
For more information visit stpaulscenter.com/audio-video/video-resources.
The Catholic Man Show
We are on the Lord's team. The winning side. So raise your glass! Cheers to Jesus!
The Catholic Man Show started in May of 2016 when Adam Minihan and David Niles realized, after running a Catholic radio station in Tulsa, the need for Catholic radio programs for men.
Real, relatable, and often comical, Adam and David have a conversation promoting the lost art of living virtuously. Every episode is broken up into 3 parts.
- A Manly Drink - We open, review, and enjoy a manly beverage on air while promoting the virtue of moderation and enjoying the finer things in life that our Lord has given to us.
- A Manly Gear - We highlight a specific gear that every man should own and how it applies to living a Catholic life in this world.
- A Manly Topic - Deemed (by us) as "the manliest conversation you will ever hear." We talk about different topics related to the Catholic man.
This podcast can be found on their website, iTunes, Stitcher and other podcast platforms. They can also be found on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
For additional content you can join the Council of Man for a monthly donation to support their work. This includes:
- Private Facebook group
- Additional content
- Much more
For more information visit thecatholicmanshow.com.
Father Larry Richards (The Reason for Our Hope Foundation)
The Reason for Our Hope Foundation was founded by Fr. Larry Richards in answer to 1 Peter 3:15 “Always be ready to give an explanation to anyone who asks you for a reason for your hope.”
The purpose of The Reason For Our Hope Foundation is to fulfill the command of Christ to “go and make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:19). The mission of the Foundation is to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ and His Church through various multimedia resources and to make available Catholic speakers who are effective instruments of this evangelization. The Foundation also helps various charities that make real the Gospel of Jesus Christ. You can help us fulfill God’s will by contacting us.
As part of this foundation the website offers numerous resources including:
- Fr. Larry’s homilies
- 2232 Men - 2232 MEN have a mission to bring all men to Jesus Christ and to show how our God and Father loves us and how He wants to be that foundation we need in our lives. Creating an environment where men can build themselves up by building each other up is the goal of the 2232 Men movement. (www.2232men.com)
- Be A Man - Another outstanding resource offered by Fr. Larry is his book ‘Be a Man’